Monday, September 24, 2012

VCO with Kakawate extract

Kakawate Leaves ( Madre de cacao )
In pursuit for more alternative treatment on my dog's skin problems, I stumbled on articles stating that Kakawate leaves otherwise known as Madre de Cacao had proven to be effective against skin disease on dogs. It is actually quite popular in provinces where they boil the leaves of the kakawate and use it to bath their dogs. Some, spray it on their beds to get rid of bed bugs and mites. So, it is proven that kakawate leaves does have insecticide and pesticidal properties.
So what I do with this is instead of boiling the Kakawate, I take the leaves and put in a food processor or chopper and chop it into really small pieces. You can see some juice coming out but really not that much. I then add some Virgin Coconut Oil to be the base of the solution. I then put it in an air tight container and leave it for a few days. After that, I use a strainer to get the oil and remove the chopped leaves. You can opt to leave some or take everything out.


You can also add "yellow ginger" (luyang dilaw), aloevera, the bark of "makabuhay" to make it just like the "Kalawag Potion" which is also known to be an effective home made remedy for mange.


I apply this on the problem area twice a day. You can also apply it on the dog's elbows to soften the skin and avoid developing callus. 



Related Tags